Allure Magazine – the beauty bible for American Women — is turning 20. And to mark the occasion, Allure asked American Women to share their insights on beauty, body and hollywood to compare it with two decades ago.The results indicate a shift in the features we find beautiful and shows that cultural desires have changed – perhaps forever.
Allure first conducted a beauty survey in 1991, when Christie Brinkley was considered to have the ideal, all-American look with her blonde hair, blue eyes, slim figure, and soft features. The new survey shows that Angelina Jolie’s dark hair, pronounced features and curvy body has replaced Brinkley as the beauty idol of today’s women.
Additional findings include:
- Both men and women include Brad Pitt, George Clooney, Tom Cruise, Denzel Washington, Ryan Reynolds, Matthew McConaughey, Harrison Ford, andHugh Jackman in their top picks for most beautiful males.
- Both men and women include Angelina Jolie, Halle Berry, Megan Fox, Beyonce, Jennifer Lopez, Julia Roberts, Sandra Bullock, and Jessica Alba in their top picks for most beautiful female.
- 64% think women of mixed race represent the epitome of beauty.
- 70% of those who wish to change their skin color wanted it to be darker – this was pronounced among women.
- 74% of those surveyed believe that a curvier body type is more appealing now than it has been over the past ten years.
- 69% of survey respondents believe there is no such thing as an “all-American look.”
- 85% of those surveyed believe that increased diversity in this country has changed what people consider beautiful.
- African-American and Hispanic women are twice as likely as Caucasian women to report not wanting to change their body in any way.
- African-American and Hispanic women are more likely than Caucasian women to feel they’re more attractive than their significant other.
- A third of African-American women think of themselves as the most attractive person in the room.
- African-American and Hispanic men are nearly twice as likely as Caucasian men to say the butt is among the most attractive features of a woman.
- African-American men are directionally more likely to embrace and aspire to curviness – they say they want curvier hips and a higher/rounder butt or a larger butt.
- African-American women are least likely to be on a diet/watch their weight.
The Age Factor
- The younger the male respondent, the more likely he is to agree with the statement “Cougars are hot.”
- 86% of everyone surveyed think that middle-aged women of today are perceived as more attractive than they were two decades ago.